togbean's place

Friday, September 08, 2006

Walk This Way

The Bean started to talk about the Backyardigans tonight because she likes to torture me with penguins. Patience....
She recognizes the penguin character, the moose, the dog(I think its a kangaroo) and the hippo but wonders what the pink "girl" is. I offer up giraffe - she shoots that down, I offer insect - again nada, "Well, maybe she's an alien."
In all seriousness, "Mama! Aliens only have one eye or a hundred." So there.

I am afeared of penguins. These things give me the willies - tremor up the spine there - they're just so blubbery and sheeny. Uck! Never, never want to meet one in a dark alleyway. I even have to pause in thinking about taking the kids to the New England Aquarium because I know they have that big penguin exhibit when you first go in. No trauma from childhood, no penguin horror flick, just adult onset weirdness.

In other news, ever since this I have had chevrons on the mind. I would love to have a nice slippery nylon quilted vest ala 1973 in a good harvest gold/orange/ecru combo. Alas no vest, so I knit a version instead. To tie in with my craving for 70's colors and motifs - Stitchy McYarnpants is coming! For those of you not in the know, I work for the local Mega Bookstore putting together all the events and whatnot, and my store is the first stop on Stitchy's Mock and Roll Tour for her book. I'm so thrilled to have her - she was one of my first favorite blogs.

I thought that in her honor I would knit something atrocious - yet cute - in a horribly outdated pattern and color and do it in acrylic. SO here it is. The Mon and Wed night knitting groups both agree that its sorta Charlie Brownish. The close up is just so you can see the novelty yarn that I worked in as a cherry-on-top.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a darling jumper - I can see how you might think it is atrocious - but it IS cute. : )

On the other hand - that photo of the penguins is actually a little unsettling - I never realised they could look demonic!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I can't wait to meet you. You'll definitley be hearing from me in the coming weeks. You've already been so helpful, but I'll probably have more questions or just need some reassuring that I won't make an ass out of myself. I've kind of blocked out any thoughts of the tour, but since it's so close, I'd better start coming to terms. :)

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Uniqua is her name and also her species. She doesn't look like any other creature on this planet." So says the Backyardigans site. I myself think she looks a bit like a chameleon. What???? Demonic penguins??? You girls are out there!! To each his own. Talk with you soon.
Love ya always,

9:04 AM  
Blogger Marti said...

I'm with you on the phobia front. Mine's not penguins, but rather dead fish. I'm deathly afraid of them. Deathly afraid of live ones too, but dead one's moreso. I can't explain it or make it go away.
I've been wanting to make a Charlie Brown sweater for my Biff. Just wondering if you followed a pattern for this or whether it sprang fully grown from your imagination. In either case, you did a great job!

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

family