togbean's place

Monday, June 26, 2006

Back in the Day


The Hubby and munchikins were out searching the Quabbin the other day for old foundations and they found this little guy squirmin along. I haven't seen one of these little red salamanders since I was about 8. My paternal grandmother, Nanny, and I used to spend a lot of time together on her property. Up at the pond - where The Hubby and I were eventually married - at the moss beds, in the berry patch, or swimming in the brook. The rocky little banks of the brook, under the pine trees, was where we'd find these little guys and she knew even then that it was So important not to play with them or disturb their environment. When I was about 10 she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and our trips out into the property ended shortly thereafter, a combination of her fear of forgetting where she was and my burgeoning pre-teen social life. I spent plenty of time camping up there in my teen years, took walks with my sister and nephew and even followed the path to what's left of the old iron bridge with my own kids but I've never again seen a little red salamander.

As an adult I'm pretty much a home body. I'd rather sit and knit while watching a good flick or listen to some great music while sewing than traipse through buggy woods, but I'm so glad that The Hubby likes to get out there and do those things with the munchikins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

family